A total of 16 participants** between the ages of 19 and 31 yrs were interviewed from June to August, 2007 in Whistler. Guys were eligible for the study if they lived and worked in Whistler, used drugs and/or alcohol recreationally, had sex under the influence while living in Whistler, and were willing to talk about the experience.
- average age 23 yrs old (range 19-31 yrs old).
- most participants were single, working full time, and living in shared housing.
- Most worked in the service industry and/or mountain operations.
- 8 were Canadians, and the rest were from Australia, Britain, the United States, New Zealand and Scotland. All were Caucasian.
- Most participants were avid mountain bikers and/or snowboarders or skiers but none were currently professional or sponsored athletes.
Length of stay in Whistler:
# of participants
|5 + seasons||1|
**NOTE: This sample was chosen on the basis of risky behaviours and therefore NOT representative of all guys in Whistler.